Tuesday, March 06, 2012

"Evitan"

This past weekend at Harlem Stage, we were fortunate enough to see a couple of shows paying tribute to the legacy of rap group, A Tribe Called Quest. A 4-part series, it showcased Tribe's music and artists influenced by them. 

Included was a special set by "Evitan" ("Native" spelled backwards)  which consists of Dres of Black Sheep, Jarobi of A Tribe Called Quest and DJ Strike. Luckily, there was enough light where I could sketch their performance. 

Quick sketch of Evitan on stage
Afterwards, I introduced myself to Jarobi in the lobby, showed him my work, and then he introduced me to the rest of the group.

DJ Strike, Jarobi, me, Dres
It was a surreal experience, as I told Dres: "My brother wouldn't believe it because he used to breakdance in the living room to your guys' tapes back in the day!"

No comments: